Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Acorns

Acorns mean autumn
Almost a week since I updated my blog. There's a lot of work to be done. But also the psychological toll is weighing heavily on me. Yes Jerusalem is safe and has not had any problems ... but the indirect casualties are everywhere. People may laugh and seem to carry on like normal daily life ... but unconsciously everyone is affected. Economically prices of everything is going up. Subconsciously people avoid going out unless necessary. Gatherings are less frequent. Migrant workers too are traumatised, and a clear reminder was 2 days back when a Thai migrant worker was killed by a missile in Galilee.

Talking about deaths, yesterday evening we received news that one of our workers but more a friend to everyone, Shibly, died after a long illness. He was an orphan that the Franciscans took in, gave him an education and job. He eventually became the head Kawas or dragoman, who leads all public processions of the Franciscans; and private chauffeur and bodyguard of the custos. Then he was diagnosed with liver cancer last Christmas and was home for almost 9 months now. Everyone feels sad.

It's not been a happy week to say the least. I've lost my memory several times. Yesterday was the worst. Three times I stood by the road not knowing where I was or what I was doing outside the Old City. My muscular control has no been good and my shaky hands caused me to spill coffee over my keyboard and totally destroyed it. I needed to go to the shop to buy a new one but I forgot where or why I was going out for.