Friday, August 4, 2023

Waning moon

Full moon over
Dome of the Rock
The days continue to be very hot but the nights are a little fresh, with temp falling down to the 20s. We'll see how August will be. I'm preparing to stay indoors all August if the weather continues to be this hot. As it is, I've a splitting headache for 3 days now because of the heat. And my swollen hands and feet are not helping at all especially since I have to drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. It's a vicious cycle.

I spend my time trying to read and write some work. But the heat and headache prevents me from doing too much.

One thing I couldn't put off was pruning the plants. Mid-summer is the pruning season for roses, trees, rosemary and lavender, even the basil and other herbs. I try to do it in the evenings when it's cool and the plants have the entire night to recuperate from the trimming. And they need plenty of water to keep from drying out. The roses have already responded by budding. I'll take some photos when they fully bloom.

The super moon is waning, but it nonetheless is still very bright and impressive. That's a little something to cheer us up. Evenings throughout the City are filled with activities - concerts, events, next week we have Shakespeare in the Park performing Julius Caesar. I'll definitely go ... except I have to see which day will be coolest. It starts at 5.30pm and the sun is devastating.