Sunday, March 4, 2018

Night stroll

Musrara night market
I slept for 2 hours last night and was awake by 2am. I didn't go to the Vigil at the Holy Sepulcher as I really felt weak. But staying awake all night wasn't very nice ... it was warm last night, just about 12 degrees. And the moon was full. But I couldn't watch the moon all night ... so I began to play mental games just to pass the time. Well by 3.30am I was getting bored ... so I decided to walk to the all night shops at Musrara to buy bread. Most of the guys who went for the Vigil and celebrated the Mass were on their way home. The road was quite crowded ... as muslims were also coming into the City for daybreak prayers. Like I said, it was warm so the slow walk was pleasant. I am still very breathless and the medicine was upsetting my stomach so the walk took my mind away from that.

The amazing pink
tree in the park
And I met many people ... at 3.30am outside Damascus Gate. The night market was gone, the street was cleaned. The security guys were making their rounds and I had a short chat with them. They reminded me that my best friend Sharfi, who used to do security, is celebrating his birthday today so I quickly send him a message. Then further up near the grocery  several men were drinking coffee and chatting ... one of them the mute grave-digger at the Muslim cemetery. He was signing to the grocery owner that he knows me and he once found a small snake and gave it to me ... which is true. That was about 4 years ago and I released the harmless snake into the Umayyad cemetery south of Jerusalem. Anyway I went further down the street to the bakery to buy 3 "kaik" which are long sesame seed bagels. At 3.30am they're piping hot from the oven.

I walked back home as the streets began to fill with pilgrims ..... 4am. But before I could go home I received a call from a neighbor who needed to talk. He was arrested the day before and later today at 10am he has to go to report at the Police Station. He was upset and nervous so I spend half an hour being with him, chatting and listening. When he felt better, I went home and ate a small piece a "kaik" with Marmite before taking the dreadful medicine which leaves a horrible bitter aftertaste.

It was almost 5am and it was time to shower and clean the room and prepare for Mass and then it was a very long walk to the German Sisters' convent in the German Colony to preach the retreat. But I'll leave that for tomorrow's blog. Right now I just want to sleep. It's 36 hours and I slept only 2 hours. I am utterly exhausted. I hope tonight I can sleep so I don't need to make night strolls again ... hoops I forgot ... tomorrow is Monday: class at 4am. Nightmare.