Friday, March 9, 2018

Marathon Day

The biggest Marathon to date is just ending here in Jerusalem. Roads closed almost half the City at 5.30am and the half marathon started at 6.30am. The full marathon started at 7am. there was an estimate 35,000 runners with over 4000 foreigners participating. The largest group of foreign runners came from Hong Kong. The winner was a kenyan who finished in 2 and a half hours. But the majority of the participants were local jerusalemites. It was a family day for most people .... parents with kids in strollers, senior citizens in groups, classmates from schools .... all varieties, many in costumes from last week's Purim .... it was very festive.    https://www.timesofisrael.com/30000-race-through-jerusalem-in-capitals-largest-ever-marathon/

Dome of the Holy Sepulchre
at midnight 
And no ... I wasn't there or even near it. I saw the photos on the news and live videos. I have to work today despite my arhymic heart, so I couldn't go to take photos of the marathon. It's such a struggle everyday to walk short distances and especially up and down the stairs. I get so tired and dizzy. And the cocktail of antibiotics makes me so thirsty all the time, day and night.

The marathon was quite a relief from the tense demonstrations yesterday but the ultra-orthodox jews. However because of the traffic disruptions and closures of many shops, many locals are no less happy than yesterday. Well maybe things will get better next Monday when the Jerusalem Sounds of the Old City festival begins. As with previous years, musicians and performers will be found at various points in the different Quarters of the Old City. It's a 4 day event and it'll draw thousands of locals from other cities. As it's a night event, traffic won't be disturbed but parking certainly will.

Steamed buns today
And talking about night ... I don't think any of you have ever seen the dome of the Holy Sepulchre at midnight. The lights are all turned on and it looks stupendous. Every 4 hours deacons from the different churches take turns to incense all the altars in the basilica. It's quite an experience.

Yesterday our filipino parishioners came to Jerusalem and they brought some food for me. However I was out listening to confessions in the evening. They brought me steamed buns and biscuits ... and 2 sticks of durian cakes. That was very nice of them. All of them are domestic helps and health carers of elderly jews in Tel Aviv. They don't have much pay but they are generous with charity. That's what Lent is all about. I am privileged.

Daylight saving is on March 23rd. That's Holy Week and so our liturgies will be an hour earlier.