 |
| Fr. Carlos presiding Mass in the Tomb |
According to Orthodox Christian tradition, today is the day when Jesus brought Lazarus back to life. The faithful are all gathering in Bethany ... the house of Martha, Mary and Lazarus and his tomb called the "Lazarion" to celebrate the event. In fact the arabic name of Bethany is "El Lazariya". Tomorrow all the Churches - catholic, orthodox and protestant - will make the Palm procession from Bethfage down to the Old City through Lions Gate. Police have already made arrangements for the closure of roads and city quarters. I can't imagine the chaos that will result.
This morning I had the monthly Mass inside the Empty Tomb with the Block Rosary Group form Jaffa. However since the superior of Jaffa, Fr. Carlos, had come along, I asked him to preside instead. It's not always that he comes to Jerusalem, much less celebrate Mass inside the Empty Tomb. I remembered you all a Mass there.
Yesterday some extremist Jews slaughtered a lamb very near the Wailing Wall as a "practice" if in case the Jewish Temple be rebuilt in the near future. Very provocative because it's prohibited by normative Judaism ... the Courts have prohibited it and the muslims are certainly not happy with it.
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.782280
Ultra-Orthodox jews on the other hand are continuing their countrywide protest against compulsory military service. They will extend the protest to the airport. That will disrupt the Jewish Passover travellers. The police lately have staked out undercover agents dressed as soldiers into the ultra-orthodox neighbourhoods where aggressive trouble-makers attacked the agents and other police swopped in to arrest them.
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4946360,00.html
 |
Banners in the Christian Quarter |
Tomorrow is Palm Sunday and as the Catholic and Orthodox calendars coincide, the route of the Palm procession will be packed with people. I certainly don't have the energy to walk the distance. And with the crowds ... I think I'll just stay at home. The streets in the Christian Quarter are now festooned with buntings and banners. Flower shops are selling beautifully plaited palm branches. A large branch would cost US$40 or more. I won't buy one as I won't be at the procession. Yesterday the son of one of our parishioners met me on my way to work and he gave me a leave from his branch ... he was going home with his parents and his father had bought a very large palm ... over a meter and a half tall.