![]() |
| Murder in this train at noon |
![]() |
| Herodian Tomb with rolling stone |
To avoid this ugly situation every year, I take a 6 km pilgrimage: first to the Herodian Tombs, then to the Mt. of Evil Counsel and finally to Bible Hill. The Herodian Tombs date back to the time of Christ, with rolling stones covering the entrances. It's quite a large complex and because of it's size, people think it was used to bury the royal family of King Herod. I always come here as my 1st stop to read the Passion of Christ from Mark's Gospel. It's 2 kms from my house. Then I walk 1km further south to the hill where tradition says Judas met the Chief Priests to discuss how to betray Jesus and receive the 30 pieces of silver. The place is hence named Mt. of Evil Counsel. Today the wind was very very strong so I did not stay there for long. It was cold too. Finally I walk back to Ketef Hinnom or Bible Hill where beautiful Spring flowers are blooming and ... hidden behind some buildings is a series of burial caves dating back to the 7th century BC. There in one of the caves the oldest biblical verse was found inscribed on a silver amulet ... the Blessing of Aaron. The wind was really too strong there and I was almost blown down several times so decided to walk back to my office. There was no way I could go home because the streets are all closed by the police due to the huge number of christians, compounded by the crowds of Muslims coming to pray on Friday.
![]() |
| Passion of Christ celebrated at the Lithostrotos or Ecce Homo |
Tonight at 8pm there will be the funeral service in the Holy Sepulchre where the image of Christ will be taken down from the Cross on Mt. Calvary, anointed with perfumed oils, wrapped in a linen cloth and placed inside the Tomb. It will then be sealed till tomorrow when the Easter Vigil is celebrated n the morning.


