Saturday, June 11, 2016

Pentecost

This evening begins the jewish feast of Pentecost or in hebrew Shavuot. It was originally a harvest feast but since agriculture is now only a minority profession, and the Temple has been destroyed 1900 years ago, the feast is now centered on the giving of the Torah to the jewish people. Long story about this evolution .... go google it.

Fence cutting across Palm Plaza
Anyway things are tense as muslims celebrate the first Friday of Ramadan yesterday and Jews begin Shavuot. Both groups use Damascus Gate to get to their respective places of worship. police had now advised jews to useably Damascus Gate and muslims to use the other 2 City gates: Herod's and Lions'. Palm Plaza in front of Damascus Gate has a metal fence running right across the north-south line, effectively separating East Jerusalem (arab) from West Jerusalem (jewish). I guess it's a security measure to stop arabs from entering the jewish side of Jerusalem or terrorists from entering Damascus Gate. Anyway it looks terrible .... dividing the City like this.

"Mian" noodles
It has been so exhausting today my body crashed. Massive asthma attacks and despite that I still had to work all morning ... but by lunch time everything fell apart. I stayed in bed as I could not walk with the asthma ... and fell asleep for some 4 hours. It was good.

And the past few days as I had so much work to do (14 hours a day) I could only get food from around the corner. Which is nice. Because around the corner is now the new chinese restaurant "Mian" that serves cantonese soup noodles. Really delicious ... and typically Hong Kong, it's a quick meal so I have time to get back to work.

Thanks to everyone for the food, clothes, bag and gifts. Sorry but I'm too tired right now to list all the names. But assuring you that I got everything and am grateful.