Sunday, May 15, 2016

Nakba Day

It's Nakba Day today ... 15th May. It's the Palestinian commemoration of how they lost their land when the Israelis established their independent State. How 2 million palestinians were moved out of their land to become refugees in Lebanon, Egypt and Syria till today, stateless and still refugees. You can read more about it:
http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.719641
http://imeu.org/article/quick-facts-the-palestinian-nakba  (a concise fact-line of the Nakba)
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/writingfromtheedge/2016/05/thank-you-chief-rabbi-now-i-know-judaism-is-to-blame-for-the-palestinian-nakba/

There has been no violence today ... which is strange since demonstrations against the Israelis usually result in scuffles. Well then again I won't know as I'm at home. I'd love to go out and see the demonstrations but it's too hot and I have a headache. In fact we're having a heatwave these few days. In Eilat it's 48 degrees!! Tel Aviv is 40 degrees ... and Jerusalem is a few degrees below that.

The Custos presiding at prayers in the
Upper Room
And lest we forget, today is also Pentecost day. Solemn Mass and prayers at the Cenacle which once a year, the Israeli govt. opens up for us to celebrate Pentecost. The Upper Room is still officially Franciscan property but the govt. refuses to return it to us ... using it as a bargaining chip in negotiations with the Church over taxes, property and other stuff. Shameful.