Well Nakba Day was pretty quiet here in Jerusalem ... nothing happened. But in the Territories there were demonstrations and scuffles at the border.
This morning though there was a stabbing at Musrara, the open market opposite Damascus Gate. The Old City was closed off for about an hour before reopening. Then life went on as usual.
 |
| Sunset in Jerusalem during the heatwave. Sickly yellow. |
We're in the middle of a heatwave. Rare and extreme ... that's what the weather bureau is calling it. Right now it's 42 degrees. The heat from the ground rises up and suffocates, And of course there's the sand and dust from the desert blowing in. My asthma has become so bad I cannot sleep at all. I'm just gasping for air every minute. I don't want to be back on a course of Prednisone as I just came off it last week. Too much cortisone. It's making me sick. My daily Telfast 180 tablets don't seem to be working and neither are the puffers. Walking back and from work, I need to stop twice to rest. And climbing up stairs. And the headache is awful.
Anyway the heatwave is one probable cause for the lack of violence on Nakba Day. I think it can be statistically proven that during the hottest days of the year there is a slow down in violence. Everyone just wants to stay indoors.
Let's hope the weather cools down the next few days as forecast. Not that I want violence tor return ... but this heat is really killing us. And asthmatics like me ... it's literally a death sentence.