 |
| Waning moon over the City Walls |
Well the summer has started with protests galore ... first with the ethiopic jews against the police, then the public uproar over the PM's decision to privatise the natural gas industry thus driving up prices, then the Religious Service Minister rejected non-orthodox jews as jews, and the ultra-orthodox ministers/rabbis consolidating power over kosher laws and marriage and conversion validity by nullifying the authority of the liberal rabbis, and now a group of women are camping outside the PM's house to protest the continuing Gaza blockade which may result in another war. Never a dull moment in Israeli life.
 |
Lovely waxing moon under the arches |
On the arab side, Ramadan ends in 4 days' time. There is a flurry of activities throughout the arab side of the City. More food is bought, new clothes ... everything new for the house. If the new moon is sighted, it should fall on Friday ... meaning Thursday night they'll spend the entire night in the mosque. I can't imagine the chaos in the streets. I should really leave the City during that time. After all, ISIS has threatened to kill all christians this Friday. I'd expect after the Eid el Fitri, some problems would erupt from this eastern side ... just to keep this alive this summer.
I'm still stuck with loads of work ... these few days I finish work at 10pm. I should go for a short break in Jaffa ... but it's always a dream. Maybe I should start a protest movement of my own ... to get a break from work.