Sunday, November 16, 2014

Winter is here ... it's official

Rain ... at the plaza in front
of Mandarin Restaurant
Last night it rained non-stop with thunder and lightening as well. I actually wasn't aware of it as I slept quite well. It was an arab friend who called me at 3am to tell me about the storm and to go out and have a look. It was freezing cold ... 8 degrees I think ... and from my window I could see the lightening and rain. It stopped by dawn but after 2 hours the rains and lightening returned. Central Israel was flooded, cars were washed off roads and 2 persons were struck by lightening in Palestine. The newspapers have declared officially that winter is upon us.

I had to say Mass at the Armenian basilica (4th Station of the Cross) while the storm raged. Not bad as I'm able to sing some parts of it in armenian. After that I had to rush off to the City center to do an errand. Came home not very wet as I had the long plastic raincoat on. Thanks to whoever bought it for me from Hong Kong. It was very unique and everyone was looking at it and some asked where they could buy it. I should some over and do a brisk trade!!!

Just an hour ago, my Israeli security friends told me there was a stabbing near Damascus Gate in Prophets' Street. The assailant was seen running towards Damascus gate, perhaps into the Old City. I think there's going to be a massive manhunt and our Quarter will be closed off again. And yesterday there was a massive brawl in northern Israel between Druze and Muslims. 41 people were injured when a hand grenade was thrown. Turned out to be a squabble between Druze and muslim students from a school that spilled from Facebook to the village.

Hot cinnamon buns straight
from the oven
Anyway despite the cold and rain, I got to meet some of my old friends from the security at the Tunnel exit. We chatted out in the streets under the rain and cold wind, drank Sprite and laughed alot. It's the only way to keep sane in this tense situation when the manhunt was going on around us. And it was nice that Khalil our cook made cinnamon buns this afternoon. Something hot in this cold cold weather.