Monday, August 4, 2014

Violence

A day filled with violence in Jerusalem. At 4pm we received news that a bulldozer had killed one israeli and overturned a bus in the City. It was something like the series of bulldozer attacks 4 years ago. Then within an hour we got news that motorcyclists shot an israeli soldier near the Hebrew University. Word then began to spread around that in Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood jews had attacked an arab in revenge, then an arab stabbed a jew on the Mt. of Olives. The last two have not been verified but word in the streets is just so. Now in the news we hear a car packed with bombs was thwarted from entering Jerusalem by a soldier jumping into the car and forcing the driver to stop.

And this morning there was again demonstrations by muslim women forbidden from entering the Al Aqsa mosque by israeli soldiers. Some got beaten up.

All I can say it, it sounds like another Intifada.

Lovely lunch
I had to work the whole day and at one point could not go home because of the rioting in the Damascus Gate area. The sisters of Mother Teresa could not go home and got stones thrown at them when they tried. They came back to my workplace and told me not to go home as i live in their area. I went instead to have lunch with 2 old friends - Diana and Sr. Natalie. Nice simple food: Diana had salmon sandwich, Sr. Natalie had camembert sandwich and I had a quiche. It was the only nice thing that happened today. My head and feet still hurt and I have to remember to take my painkillers.