The PM's office is all red-faced after publicly announcing that the PM will meet with the Pope during his visit to Rome, only to learn the Vatican made a public announcement that no meeting was ever scheduled. The PM's officials think they can get what they want on short notice. Maybe they can do that with the rest of the world ... but the Vatican? No way. The medieval machinery of bureaucracy keeps everything on hold and any diplomatic meeting would have to be prepared years before hand.
Meantime the weather is still extreme ... hot during the day but chilly during the night. Lots of people are out in hoodies today. I ruined my favourite blue hoodie yesterday when I was painting the staircase. So sad. And for the record, I ruined 2 pairs of Bermuda shorts because of painting the library this summer. Miserable. Time for a new wardrobe.
| Lemons weighing down my lemon tree |
Well the strange weather has one good point - it's making our lemons grow profusely. Last winter I changed the soil and added manure to our 2 potted lemon trees. This time now, one tree is so heavy with fruit I have to tie supporting sticks on its branches. It's definitely going to be a bumper harvest next Spring.