| Damascus Gate packed with people at midnight |
I had had a very tiring and trying day at work but had to rush off to see the doctor early in the evening as I had missed 3 appointments already. A good 70km journey to another city. I had hoped to return around 8.30pm when everyone is back at home breaking the fast and eating the family meal ... but I reached home only at 10pm. The City Gates were all so packed with thousands of people coming out of the mosque that I had to wait two and a half hours in the cold, and in hunger and feeling generally very sick - I've still got diarrhea and cramps. When I got home at 12.30am I was too sick to sleep. Tried to eat something but almost vomited everything out. Before I could sleep, the wakers (guys banging on drums to wake muslims to eat before the fast began) began their racket at 2.45am. All in all I only slept one hour. Mind you I'm very happy for my muslim friends - they called me at 1.30am to chat. But my poor body can't take it ....
And in the streets, people are talking today about the sad situation in Egypt ... families mourning for the dead in Ramadan. Also in Syria.