Wednesday, June 13, 2012

St Anthony's Feast

Homemade goodness
Here's a pic of the mishmish jam made by Firas and his mum. 500g (contents), pure fruit with no artificial colouring or preservatives. As the mishmish is going out of season, the next batch of jams will be figs; followed by quince. Grape jam will come in autumn. Any takers?

Today is St Anthony's feastday. He's the patron saint of the Custody in the Holyland. There's a solemn Mass at St. Saviour's this morning and there'll be celebrations in all the Custody's churches. Children will wear the franciscan habit as a sign of consecration to St. Anthony and his protection. He's known as the caster of devils, so many locals are specially devoted to him. Can't imagine the number of devils in the streets of Jerusalem .... but believe, I've come across several.

I've been suffering from bad headaches these few days ... I think it's due to the heat and dehydration. Also the asthma has become very bad. The doc said I must operate on my broken septum in the nose as soon as possible as I'm only breathing 30% with that nostril. And in the night it causes my asthma. Well ...  time to invoke St. Anthony ....