Right now we can see an awful fire burning in the Old City towards Jaffa Gate. We had gone up the terrace to see the lights of the new Hurva synagogue but instead everyone else were on their roofs watching that dreadful fire. It was so huge we could see the fire going up to the roof and burning it down. We are afraid it could be one of our buildings like the Franciscan Bookshop or the Christian Information Centre. I called some friends living up that way and they said it's certainly burning in that direction. Let's pray no one was hurt.
What a terrible way to end Independence Day celebrations. During the day, helicopters and fighter jets flew in formation and families came in hoards to Independence Park to barbeque as is the tradition here. Street concerts and entertainers played their stuff to thousands that flocked from Independence Park all the down to Mamillah Mall and into Jaffa Gate where the fire is burning now. The Israelis are proud of their nation, and anyone who's been here can tell you it's transformed from an Ottoman outback to one of the most modern cities.
My sugar level is coming down and my swollen fingers, hip and feet are almost back to normal. The night thirsts have lessen and my cramps too. But I'm strictly on my veggie, no-carbo diet. I do get tired easily so I try to restrict my work (as if ever!!!).
Firas our helper saved a baby turtle-dove yesterday when it fell from it's nest one floor up. It's fully fledged but still unable to fly, so I'm handfeeding it as well as the other canary chick. The 2nd chick died this morning. I'm trying my best ... but I have no experience in handfeeding chicks. Still learning ... trying to save a fragile life.