Saturday, February 16, 2008

Way of the Cross

The temperature has been falling steadily - and its getting unbearably cold again. Weather forecast - snow tomorrow.

Yesterday I was sick again - bad headache. And I wasn't the only one. After lunch, I went to visit a new hotel called the Legacy. It was formerly the YMCA and Nazarene Tours bought it over and converted it into a swanky chic hotel. Very nice. Will bring my groups here in the future. Matthew came along bec ause he brings lots of grps as well. But on our way out to The Legacy, we were crushed by the Friday muslim crowd that had just finished their prayers. The crush toward Damascus Gate was unbelievable. We were unable to breathe as people kept pushing (literally thousands) and surging. I thought of how people died in such crushes and Matthew was panicking. I forced my way out to a side street and got Matthew to come along before the surge pushed him out of my sight. Through the winding quiet streets of upper Old City we found out way to the New Gate where we then turned downhill again towards Damascus Gate but from outside the City Walls of course. Lesson learned - never, never go out on a Friday. It was scary!

When Matthew and I returned from the Legacy, the crowd had dissipated and it was exactly 3pm. I decided to quickly change and go for the Way of the Cross. I was exhausted though and pretty sick; but I thought well, it's Lent so go ahead anyway. Again the crowds were unbearable - this time Catholics making the Way of the Cross along the same road that only 2 hours ago was crushed by the muslims going home after Friday prayers. Over 700 pilgrims had come to join in. I gave up, made my own Way of the Cross ahead of the official one and ended up at the Holy Sepulchre where I waited for the procession to arrive. Remembered all of you during my Way of the Cross. After the blessing at the Sepulchre, Oscar a young friar priest came and asked for confession. After that I wanted to join in the daily procession in the Holy Sepulchre led by the friars but there were many friars present already so I thought I'd better go home and rest. The headache was getting worse.

Went home and slept (6pm) till midnight. Missed dinner and vespers. But the headache has gone. Today it's going to be hard work on my thesis again.