Thursday, February 21, 2008

News from Musky

Fr Vincenzo sents his regards to everyone. However things are not all well with him. He's got deep vein thrombosis and arterosclerosis in one leg; and to add that up - he took a medicine that he was allergic to and now the leg is sort of like burnt. Was in hospital but has since returned home. Doctors orders are that he should be lying in bed all the time just in case a clot from the leg might make its way to his heart or brain. Poor guy - and he just celebrated his birthday 2 days ago. Please pray for him.

I wrote to him on Skype and that was when he told what was happening to him. I told everyone else immediately and everyone here is worried. The students especially of Terra Santa College are very fond of him when he was superior there for the past 6 years. Our Superior Fr Carlo said Egypt is bad for him and the Custos should send him back to Israel immediately. Not much chance of that happening.

But Vincenzo has not forgotten you guys and wants you to know that besides feeding the poor children in Musky at Christmas, he is now supporting two girls in university, two 4 yr old children and a 3 mth old baby. And all that is possible because of your generosity. The children all send their love and thanks to you, fr Vincenzo says, and they remembered you all at Christmas.

When I continued to chase Vincenzo for the photos of Musky and the kids which he has been pushing off, he finally admitted yesterday that he doesn't have a camera. I should have known. I just took it for granted that he would have had one. Will try and get him one soon.

So people, know that you're making a difference in the lives of the children in Musky, and also for Fr Vincenzo. It has made him happier to see the children with a future, with hope in their eyes, with smiles on their faces. And it was you who made this possible. This is the meaning of Lent - like the psalm says, "Not sacrifices of bulls and goats I bring, but a compassion heart".