Monday, April 13, 2026

Easter again

Fr. Patrick knocks
3 times to open
the church doors
It's Easter again! For the Eastern Catholic churches that follow the Julian calendar!!

Our Ukrainian Catholics of the Byzantine rite celebrated it yesterday. It was a huge presence! Most brought home baked Easter bread and painted eggs to be blessed. This took place after the liturgy which lasted almost 3 hours! The people laid their baked easter goodies on the plaza in front of the church and the priest splashed copious amounts of holy water on everyone and everything. The aim is to wet everything in sight ... literally soaking wet. That's why it takes place outside the church!!!

The Ethiopic Catholics also celebrated their Easter but I haven't received photos from them yet. I'll share them with you once I get them.

Today we get to eat Easter Bread and eggs all over again .... for the next few days!

People waiting for
the blessing